Google co-founder Sergey Brin is photographed at a charity event sporting a pair of the augmented-reality specs.
Best prosumer dSLR
An excellent dSLR for experienced shooters or Nikon professionals looking for a relatively cheap option, the Nikon D7000 delivers on almost all counts, including the company's best shooting design to date.4 stars
Best dSLR under $1000
For the money, the Canon EOS Rebel T3i is a great choice for dSLR videographers, and it's a solid choice for creative still shooters.4 stars
Best prosumer compact
Though we'd like it to perform better, dSLR shooters looking for a sidekick camera will find the Canon PowerShot S95's top-flight photos and a full manual feature set worth the tradeoff of its compact size.4 stars
Best interchangeable-lens compact
While it's not the best in any particular aspect, and you probably don't want to use it for video, the Olympus PEN E-PL3 offers an excellent balance of size, features, performance, and photo quality for the money.4 stars
Such a leap in power would come courtesy of new graphics processing units developed by U.K.-based Imagination Technologies, which builds the GPUs for Apple's mobile products.
Announced at CES on Tuesday, Imagination's new PowerVR Series6 GPU core chip family is touted as providing 20 times or more of the performance of the current generation.
As a result, "it enables Imagination's partners to deliver amazing user experiences in devices from innovative 'natural' user interfaces to ultra-realistic gaming, as well as enabling new applications never before thought of from advanced content creation and image processing to sophisticated augmented reality and environment-aware solutions," Imagination said in press release.
With Apple as one of those partners, Imagination has created the GPUs built into the central processing units that drive the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, and Apple TV, notes AppleInsider. Those CPUs include the A5 chip found in the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2, and the A4 chip in the iPhone 4 and the original iPad.
A test of the iPad 2's graphics performance found a huge leap in speed over that of the original iPad, offering a healthy boost for games and other graphics-heavy applications.
Apple even owns a chunk of Imagination Technologies, so it's a sure bet the new PowerVR Series6 will find their way into upcoming iPhones and iPads. The question is when.
The next-generation A6 chip that will reportedly power the iPad 3 could include the Series 6 GPUs, speculates AppleInsider. Imagination CEO Hossein Yassaie seems to be eyeing an aggressive rollout for the new graphics processor line, saying that "we have a very clear technology advantage and an exceptional roadmap for the PowerVR Series6 family which our partners can depend on."
But with the next iPad rumored to start shipping in March, the timing will be very tight if Apple wants to take advantage of Imagination's latest technology.
The latest buzz suggests that Apple supplier and iPad maker Pegatron Technologies has already started filling orders for the new tablet.
Sources in China have also reportedly told Japanese blog Macotakara that Foxconn Technology and Pegatron have both begun assembling the new iPad. But the sources said that Foxconn is taking on 85 percent of the load with Pegatron responsible for only the remaining 15 percent.
Another batch of rumors claims that Apple has chosen LG and Samsung to make the display panels for the iPad 3, thereby giving the bum's rush to Sharp, which reportedly failed to meet Apple's specifications.
With the iPad 3 likely to ship sometime in the first quarter, we can safely predict that the rumor mill will be heating up as we come closer to an expected launch.
- 10 Addictive Foods That Cause the Most Cavities
- 10 Common reasons to order a background check
- 10 Cool Ways to Deliver Flowers to Your Wife
- 10 Famous shipwrecks throughout history
- 10 Hazards of living on a houseboat
- 10 Insurance scams homeowners frequently try to pull
- 10 Laws about background checks you should know
- 10 Laws you should know related to insurance fraud
- 10 Outfits Parents Love But Kids Hate
- 10 People to call when being attacked by a vampire
- 10 Problems with chewing gum 24x7
- 10 Reasons Kids Love Running Around Barefoot
- 10 Reasons People Can’t Get Boat Insurance
- 10 Reasons Real Men Secretly Like to Receive Flowers
- 10 Reasons your gums may bleed
- 10 Signs your bad breath is caused by gingivitis
- 10 Things That Elvis Presley would have tweeted
- 10 Things That Siri is Awesome At
- 10 Things tug boats tow and why
- 10 Tips for calculating how much life insurance you need
- 10 Ways to make Chores fun for kids
- 7 Creative ways to calm an angry child
- 9 Reasons a Cell Phone is the most critical personal safety device
- Everyday Life
- From A Traveller's Desk
- Online Earning Places
- Software Outsourcing Service Providers